what are our rights?

"what are our rights? what can we do?"

why? what are you asking?

my son went out to the rice fields and some people beat him up and stuck his head under water. what can we do?

which son?

the oldest.

is he okay? does he need to go to the hospital?

he just has a really bad headache right now.

when did this happen?

8 o'clock this morning, but what are our rights? what should I do?

not the phone call I was expecting to interrupt my day yesterday - one that I actually asked a friend to help me understand. and now I understand what happened, but definitely not why. the family knows the people who beat the boy. that point aside, i do not know what would possess someone to beat someone else.

i have been reading in psalms again lately.
there are these verses that keep sticking out to me.

for the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.

to you the helpless commits himself; you have been the helper of the fatherless.

O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may terrify no more.
 

 there is this desire for justice that is close to God's heart and something i want to grasp hold of more.

i am grateful this family called us - grateful they want to know what to do - even though we definitely do not know all the right answers we can pray for this boy; for his bruises and wounds to be healed, for his protection and for wisdom and grace for his family - that the choices they make would be good choices that honor the God they trust in.

because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan, I will not arise says the Lord; I will place him in the safety for which he longs. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts