Lucky

I got to see Sophea today. I do not get to see her very often, but I am always grateful when the opportunity does come. We met them at the main road shortly before the turn off into the orchard that they live on. The rainy season has made the road rather impossible for the average car to drive through, so her grandmother carried Sophea out to meet us. I do not know how long it took them to walk, but it takes us more than 30 minutes to drive in when it is possible.

We met them at a little store on the side of the road. As we were sitting there talking to the grandmother and aunts there was an odd assortment of different people coming and going; buying things, watching the foreigners speak Khmer, wondering what we were doing.

One of the ladies - maybe one of the grandmother's friends, but I don't really know - was sitting there and said how lucky little Sophea is to have me as her mother taking care of her like this.

She's so lucky.

People say things like that often to me or to some of the different kids that we help. Most of the time I just smile.

Today it hit me though, because of what her grandmother said in response.

When we met Sophea her parents were both in the hospital. A few months after they returned home her dad died and her mom left too. She was back and forth for a little while. They don't know where she is anymore, but all three of her girls are safe and well taken care of.

Today her grandmother said Sophea is lucky. Her mom could have sold all three of them easily.

She just said and it's just true. The best part is that it's what could have happened, but not what did happen. And I don't know that I'd say Sophea's lucky, but I would say that Jesus has her in his hands.

Comments

Popular Posts