visiting friends

There's a few things I love about visiting my friends. They're some of the most amazing people I've ever had the privilege of meeting and these two evenings a week that I am able to go hang out with them are some of the best times of my week.

I have a three year old friend who is one of my dear little buddies. I've known her since she was 7 or 8 months old. When we visit her house sometimes she has to put her thumbprint three different places - once for herself, once for her older sister and once for her 5 year old nephew (cause that's just how it works in her family.) Consistently she's good the first time - pulls a thumb out, sticks it in the ink and puts it on the spot we point to on the paper. Second time she's got it. Takes the other thumb out, and marks the paper. Then she gets confused. She looks at one thumb and then the other. Followed by looking up at us questioningly. These days she's starting to boldly make her move with the third finger of her choice. Most often she chooses a pointer.

I have some other friends who repeated a rather regular conversation with me last week. Two of them were talking to each other and then told me, "you're black again. And skinny." They then proceed to tell me and each other how last year when I came back from the states I was so white and thicker and so, so pretty! I was partially participating in this conversation and partially only an observer. They want to know when I'm planning to go home next. For good or just a visit? And how come you're so black now? I drive in the sun a lot, I play with kids some and it's hot here. She's right. She only ever wears short sleeve shirts. I don't know how to wear a long-sleeved shirt when it's so hot. If it's cold I'll wear one.

I have a little friend who is almost a year and a half. She likes to ride on motos. She came walking down the street from her house to me the other day as I was driving up. Sat on the moto seat in front of me and held on. Every house we stopped at she just sat on that little moto seat waiting patiently until I was finished and we could keep going. Some days when I do not have room for her to sit with me her mom moves her away so I can leave. Most days if I'm not on my moto she doesn't pay much attention to me.

Tonight I got to tell one of my young friends she passed the exam for the private Christian here in town and she can start tenth grade there in October. I got to watch her face light up as the joy beamed through her and her family. I am so proud of her for working so hard and for really wanting to continue to work hard. She wants to be a doctor when she grows up.

And these are my wonderful friends, only a few of them, but they are each so wonderful. In these happy moments of life, in the ordinary days of life, in the times that just stink, I am so honored and grateful to share life with these dear friends of mine - big and small. They have made my life far more rich.

Comments

Popular Posts