There is a happy ending

This morning when I was walking down a street to take kids to Bible Club I heard an argument. As I got closer I saw one of the couples I know fighting - beating each other and screaming all sorts of things at each other as their three little boys were just right there in the midst of it. Some people were watching it and others were just going about their business as normal, but what surprised me was that no one was doing anything to stop it.

I asked someone why no one was stopping them, but I did not get an answer from him, so I walked up to them and they stopped fighting, but just kept arguing and screaming at each other. I was standing their holding their one year old son and hearing them both trying to argue their points to deaf ears.

I still do not know entirely what was going on, but what breaks my heart right now is that fighting, beating your spouse, hearing your neighbors fight - is just what they're used to. It was not the first time they'd seen this couple fight and they're not the only couple who have fought. I was talking to one of my friends who lives on the same street later in the day and she told me her husband has hit her before. Although some of the situations are more serious than others they don't realize it's not the way it's supposed to be.

The whole situation today simmered, escalated and calmed down before I left.  The dad had already taken some of his things and walked off. Two of the boys were with me as we went to Bible Club. I don't have answers to end this today, but there is a happy ending to this story.  I found it in walking into our Bible Club and sitting down to teach 20 or so of my little friends who come from all sorts of broken families, who have seen all sorts of violence, poverty and pain in their lives, yet remain incredibly resilient and full of joy and life. Trusting, knowing that more than all the junk in their lives that they've been introduced to the God of Hope and Truth and Love. And so I can look at their precious faces and believe that Hope is winning here.



Comments

Popular Posts